Good morning. The deadline for veterans to enroll in VA healthcare under the PACT Act is only a few days away.
The PACT Act expanded eligibility for veterans who deployed to a combat zone, never enrolled in VA healthcare, and left the military between Sept. 11, 2001, and Oct. 1, 2013. This expansion would improve care for veterans with conditions related to toxic exposure. Those eligible my enroll by Sept. 30 without applying for benefits first.
Also, tonight is the second Republican presidential debate of the cycle, with contenders Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Tim Scott, Vivek Ramaswamy, Mike Pence, Chris Christie and Doug Burgum all set to take the debate stage in California. Former President Donald Trump will again skip this debate. WMUR’s Arielle Mitropoulos recently previewed the debate.
Other political headlines we’re monitoring
- Congress is moving into crisis mode as Senate unveils bipartisan bill to avoid a government shutdown
- Cassidy Hutchinson’s new book says Mark Meadows’ suits smelled ‘like a bonfire’ from burning papers
- US soldier who crossed into North Korea in July is in American custody, US officials say
- Sen. Menendez will appear in court in his bribery case as he rejects calls to resign
- Judge rules Donald Trump defrauded banks, insurers as he built real estate empire
Follow our coverage on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter: